Sometimes it seems like the universe is out to get me. For the last month we have been battling cough/cold/fevers that seem to hit each of us at a different time. When you have a toddler, it seems that even if one only person is sick it may as well be all of you. Nothing gets done.
I've wanted to tackle the messy backyard for the better part of 5 weeks now, but between illness, bad weather or mandatory plans it just never happened. Yesterday I finally caught a break.
We were busy, don't get me wrong, but I was determined to get this done. So determined, in fact, that I already planned my approach weeks ago in order to achieve maximum yard cleanliness with a minimal effort to minute ratio. It's the nerd in me I suppose.
Beforehand on Sunday morning, we headed down to 4th Presbyterian Church in Bethesda to watch a performance for Palm Sunday that was composed and directed by my Mother in law. It was great! Even if Church stuff isn't your thing you could probably appreciate this strictly on a performance level. Their choir gives me chills man.
Anyway, after that we had my wife's siblings over for lunch. With the nice weather, a cookout was in order. After they left, the munchkin went down for her nap and I set out to clean the yard. In what had to be record time I cleared the yard of pine needles, pine cones, sticks, leaves and, *ahem*, dog-leavings. I also cut the grass for good measure.
With a good 90 minutes remaining until our visit with my side of the family I was able to unwind for a bit with some Call of Duty: Black Ops. I spent the rest of the day chasing my daughter around at my Dads house.
The aches caught up with me later in the evening, but it was of no concern. The backyard is clean at last! The front yard is on hold while we plan out our new landscaping, but it was in much better shape than the backyard anyway.
This coming weekend I head up to Westminster to help my brother clean his much larger and messier yard. At least he has home-brew on tap.
No comments:
Post a Comment