A blog about: My Life. Howard County MD. Movies. Music. Games. Technology. Beer.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Why am I so tired? Oh...right.

We sprung forward. It wasn't all that bad really, but because my weekend was pretty eventful leading up to the time change, I think I felt its effects more than I usually would this time around. Also, it's still dark in the six o'clock hour (Ante Meridiem). I miss the sunshine on my way to work.

Here's a quick rundown of of the weekends highlights:


-Tony & Jen came up to visit.

I've known Tony since high school. He eventually moved to Florida, where he met and married Jen. They might move back to MD. I hope they do.

-Brewing at my brothers.

This is where the meet-up happened. Tony and I got to help my brother brew a new recipe. If you've never hung out with someone while brewing it is something I highly recommend. We got to make beer while talking beer and drinking beer. The smells that permeated the front porch were intoxicating, and this is before any form of fermentation mind you.

-Tried a new beer.

It was a doppelbock called Samichlaus. Talk about a beer that's outside of my comfort zone. This was sweet and strong with little-to-no sense of hop flavors. At 14% ABV it's probably the strongest beer I've had. I just smelled it for a solid two minutes before taking my first sip and then nursed the 8 oz pour for about 20 minutes. It was delicious.

-Lost an hour of sleep.

And never recovered from it. Thankfully the weather was phenomenal. We opened our windows, swung open the french doors and let the light bathe the living room as we breathed the fresh air and got in as much laying around time as possible with a toddler in the house.

-Watched Daybreakers.

I did anyway. My wife is not a fan of scary movies. I wouldn't call it a scary movie, though it did have more than its fair share of both gore and thrills. The movie is set in a dystopian future where the majority of the human race are vampires, and the remaining actual humans are hunted and farmed for their blood. It starred Ethan Hawke as a vampire scientist searching for an alternative to human blood since supplies are running out. When he stumbles upon a group of humans, they lead him to a solution he never would have thought of. I really enjoyed this one. For a silly-ish concept, it was very well done. With this and Gattaca, Ethan Hawke is one or two more dystopia/end-of-the-world pictures away from being this generations Charlton Heston.

-Cherpumple fail.

I tried to make a single layer cherpumple. The "traditional" version is 3 layers, but before going all the way I just want to see if I can successfully bake a pie inside of a cake. For now, the answer is no, I cannot. It tasted great, but it didn't come out of the pan in one piece and a small portion of the cake was still gooey. It's okay though. I know what to try next.

-NFL Lockout.

The only other thing I took time for this weekend was to catch up on this whole labor dispute thing going on in the NFL. With no resolution to the Collective Bargaining Agreement on Friday, the NFLPA officially decided to decertify. Shortly thereafter, the NFL issued a lockout against the players. Now the situation between the NFL and the NFLPA is going to be handled by judges and lawyers, which gives me no great hope. All signs point to a shortened or lost 2011 football season. Here is an entertaining list of labor dispute winners and losers from espn.com. I'm just glad that The Redskins weren't singled out the way The Bengals were. Hail?

No comments:

Post a Comment