I think I love lists. For one, they are a quick (read: lazy) way to convey information without accessing my full, mental capacity. They also look neat.
I also love music. I would not label myself as a music snob, nor as a hipster (though I nearly left my mustache intact while shaving last weekend simply to make my brother uncomfortable). I like many different music styles and artists, some you may have heard of and some you may have not. In the workplace, I frequently befriend people that share many commonalities with me, but taste in music is rarely on of those things.
I had this one coworker who, whenever I would tell him about a band I liked, would always reply "Are they anything like blank blank blank?" (where "blank" is a randomly selected word). For instance:
Grass Shovel Dumpster
Driver Meat Storm
Station Lake Candy
He found this to be quite amusing. The point here is that he was unaware of any music that was not played on popular radio stations.
I do not fault him for this.
He also likes country music.
A lot of people do.
I played him some Iron & Wine, the idea being to "build him a bridge" from country music to music that I liked. He listened to one song, feared the use of the banjo and then made some quotes from Deliverance. Hey...I tried.
So for no other reason than an excuse to make some lists, I will present you with 3 of them. Each list will contain 3 artists who have at least one song currently loaded in my iPod. One list will contain artists you probably haven't heard of. One will contain artists you may have heard of and the last will contain artists you probably have heard of.
Artists you probably have not heard of:
1. Le Loup: indie folk-tronica from Silver Spring MD.
Video
2. Slowreader: Side-project from members of the Austin, TX rock band The Impossibles.
Video
3. American Football: Indie rock at it's finest (speaking as a musician) from Urbana, Illinois.
Video
Artists you may have heard of:
1. The Postal Service: Side-project of Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie.
Where you may have heard them? If you watch American Football (not the band) then you may have seen the UPS commercials with that arrogant long haired hippie that draws stuff with the brown marker. They play the song from the video below during those commercials. You may also have heard of Death Cab since the kids love 'em.
Video
2. Circa Survive: Progressive rock all-stars from Doylestown, PA.
Where you may have heard them? SXSW festival. Vans Warped Tour. They tour the East Coast regularly too. Local bonus: They recorded their second album in Fells Point.
Video
3. Bon Iver: Indie/folk and just plain awesomeness from Northwestern Wisconsin.
Where you may have heard them? Austin City Limits. David Lettermen. Last.fm. Pitchfork. These guys are on their way.
Video
Artists you probably have heard of:
1. The Police: an all-time favorite and likely source of inspiration for many of the modern artists I enjoy.
2. Queen: gods of rock. Bohemian Rhapsody. Need I say more?
3. 311: Guilty pleasure. Loved 'em since I was 15. Sue me.
Disclaimer: If you are my brother than you have heard of all of these.









No comments:
Post a Comment