Well, things certainly escalated since my last post. I ended up going in to see the oral surgeon for an evaluation on Wednesday, followed by the procedure on Friday morning. I've never had any serious dental work prior to this, so I was a little nervous going in. Thankfully my surgeon, Dr. Haddad, was very cool and let me know what to expect.
I opted for sedation which was a pretty cool experience. They administer the sedative through an IV and after a few minutes you are minimally conscious and very, very happy. The procedure took about 20-30 minutes and there were no complications.
About 2 hours later is when the pain kicked in. I was prescribed Motrin and Vicodin for pain management and some antibiotics to prevent infection. I spent the next few days in bed recovering and by Monday I started to feel more like myself.
It's been up and down since then. I have a molar that requires a root canal thanks to some tooth decay, and it's causing me quite a bit of pain. The nerve is nearly exposed, so the pain can be very intense at times.
I had a follow up with Dr. Haddad today and he said everything is healing nicely. I can go in for the root canal as soon as today, and as of now I have a tentative appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Once I recover from that I should be done with the pain, but I still need to get a crown and have 7 small cavities filled. The moral of the story here is do not put off seeing a dentist for 10 + years, it ain't worth it.
By the way, if you ever need any kind of oral surgery I cannot recommend the Implant & Oral Surgery Center at Maple Lawn highly enough. They were great!
Ouch, just thinking about this makes me cringe. Glad you're on the upswing, relatively speaking - hope that root canal happens quick so you can be pain-free.
ReplyDelete